On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Nelson Lameiras <
nelson.lamei...@lyra-network.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Not sure if I should post here, or on the dev mailling list.
>
> I had a serious problem when upgrading an oVirt cluster from 3.6 to 4.0
> (before updating to 4.1)
>
> The error on engine-setup log was :
> "schema.sh: FATAL: Cannot execute sql command: --file=/usr/share/ovirt-
> engine/dbscripts/upgrade/04_00_0930_disallow_boot_protocol_to_be_null.sql"
>
> After long hours of debuguing and analysing I found out the problem. On
> database, some entries on table network_attachements had a NULL value which
> were incompatible with the sql file above.
> I'm guessing this is an "exotic situation" which shouldn't exist... in
> theory ;)
>
> Anyway, I'm fairly sure that the solution for this problem would be to
> patch the following file 'ovirt-engine/packaging/
> dbscripts/upgrade/04_00_0910_do_not_allow_null_boot_protocol.sql'
> by adding the following line "update network_attachments set boot_protocol
> ='NONE' where boot_protocol is null;"
>
> If a dev want to discuss it further, I'll be happy to explain my thoughts
> on this matter.

Doing the above might be enough for engine-setup to finish, but it might
introduce a risk.
Ideally we should find the root cause leading to this state and:
1. Make sure it can't happen anymore
2. Fully fix the data - might require more than just the above update.
3. Alternatively, add a check earlier and notify the user to fix this
manually.
Adding Dan for further analysis.

Thanks for the report!

Best,

> cordialement, regards,
>
> <https://www.lyra-network.com/>
> Nelson LAMEIRAS
> Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux / Systems and Networks engineer
> Tel: +33 5 32 09 09 70 <+33%205%2032%2009%2009%2070>
> nelson.lamei...@lyra-network.com
> www.lyra-network.com | www.payzen.eu <https://payzen.eu>
> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrVl1CO_Jlu3KbiRH-tQ_vA>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/lyra-network_2>