I changed the 'os.other.devices.display.protocols.value.3.6 =
spice/qxl,vnc/cirrus,vnc/qxl' line to have the same display protocols
as 4 and the hosted engine now appears in the list of VMs. I am
guessing the compatibility version was causing it to use the 3.6
version. However, I am still unable to migrate the engine VM to
another host. When I try putting the host it is currently on into
maintenance, it reports:

Error while executing action: Cannot switch the Host(s) to Maintenance mode.
There are no available hosts capable of running the engine VM.

Running 'hosted-engine --vm-status' still shows 'Engine status:
unknown stale-data'.

The ovirt-ha-broker service is only running on one host. It was set to
'disabled' in systemd. It won't start as there is no
/etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/hosted-engine.conf on the other two hosts.
Should it be? It was not in the instructions for the migration from
bare-metal to Hosted VM

Thanks,

Cam