Hi ,

   yes, you are right. Since arbiter brick  has only metadata and  data for
the vm has to be served from one of the other two replicas, read is slow.

    Arbiter is a special subset of replica 3 volumes and is aimed at
preventing split-brains and providing same consistency as a normal replica
3 volume with out consuming 3x space. You could use replica 3 and no issues
with that.

Thanks
kasturi