I'm not sure how the logical networks should work and would appreciate if someone could shed some light into the matter, I've tried reading the documentation¹ but have not become any wiser :-/

For the sake of argument, I have two hosts in the same cluster/DC, They both have 2 network devices each (let's call them eth0 and eth1). On both hosts the ovirtmgmgt is connected to eth0 and uses the Host 1 is and host 2 is All four network devices are connected to one switch.

Then I create a logical network, mylogic which should be, which I assign to eth1 on each host, but define only for host 1 an ip-address,, host 2 has also the network assigned to eth1, but withouth an ip address.

Next I create vm1 on host 1, give it a single virtual network connection to mylogic, and configure the guest to use with gw Obviously I can from the guest ping which is the host address on the logical network as the guest is running on the same hardware where the host ip address is defined.

However, and this is where my confusion lies, if I now create another vm, vm2, on host 2, attach its network device to the mylogic network and configure it to use with gw, I can not ping neither nor

My understanding is that vm2 should be able to ping the wm1 as well as the gateway address defined on host 1. However this does not seem to be the case.

What have I missed here?

¹ https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/admin-guide/chap-Logical_Networks/