Bill,

Appreciate the feedback and would be interested to hear some of your
results.  I'm a bit worried about what i'm seeing so far on a very stock 3
node HCI setup.  8mb/sec on that dd test mentioned in the original post
from within a VM (which may be explained by bad testing methods or some
other configuration considerations).. but what is more worrisome to me is
that I tried another dd test to time creating a 32GB file, it was taking a
long time so I exited the process and the VM basically locked up on me, I
couldn't access it or the console and eventually had to do a hard shutdown
of the VM to recover.

I don't plan to host many VMs, probably around 15.  They aren't super
demanding servers but some do read/write big directories such as working
with github repos and large node_module folders, rsyncs of fairly large
dirs etc.  I'm definitely going to have to do a lot more testing before I
can be assured enough to put any important VMs on this cluster.

- James