On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:34 PM <tho...@hoberg.net> wrote:

> Hi Didi, I finally figured it out:
>
> Cinnamon pulls python3 as a dependency.
>
> The otopi script from the ovirt-host-deploy.tar that gets transferred from
> the management engine to the host-to-add prefers python3 using this logic in
> otopi-functions.py:
>
> get_otopi_python() {
>         for p in "python3" "python"
>         do
>                 pyexec=$(find_otopi ${p})
>                 if [ -n "${pyexec}" ]; then
>                         echo "${pyexec}"
>                         break
>                 fi
>         done
> }
>
> but on CentOS 7 there are no Python3 site-packages where CentOS 8 will be all
> dnf and python3 I guess.
>
> That means rpmUtils cannot be imported and causes the initialization of
> miniyum to fail.
>
> With Python3 becoming standard in CentOS 7.7 this could be come a more
> frequent issue.
>
> That was hard to track down, but yes, in the end the source code helped and
> then the fact that the otopi scipt could be executed stand-alone.
>
> I will file a bug report and perhaps the documentation could be updated to
> include a Python3 warning.
>
> Thanks for your support,

Thanks for the report!

I'll try to handle it soon. Probably something trivial like changing
the order in that line should be enough. We already did that a few
times in the past :-(

I wonder how come you are the first one reporting it. I guess not many
people yet install python3 on CentOS 7.

Best regards,

> Thomas

Didi