Hello Jeremy,

we did this kind of workflow:

- create a standard base image, with all the required updates you
want. We usually started from the previous template of the same RHEL
release, but you can start from scratch every time if you want.
- Install cloud-init that starts at boot and then, after the first
successful execution, disables itself.
- a ssh key for ansible to allow login as root without password. This
key will be then removed after deployment is completed.
- create this new template as new version of the existing RHEL
template (RHEL 7 as example)

At deploy time with ansible:
- deploy a new vm starting from the latest template of RHEL7. Use
run_once cloudinit details for setting ip address. The vm has to be
connected to the right virtual network.
- wait_for vm to be reachable via network
- proceed with ansible to configure/install the remaining parts
(authentication, monitoring agents, backup utilities).

Luca

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 4:20 PM <jeremy_tourvi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to manage VMs using Ansible.  As part of the template
> creation process it says to seal the VM.  Can someone tell me what sealing
> does to a Linux VM?  I understand it removes some of things that make the VM
> unique but no real specifics.
>
> So, if I want to manage a VM created from a template would this general
> process work?-
>
> Seal the VM
> Install CloudInit and keys, accounts, etc
> Shut off VM and create template from it.
>
> Create new VM using Ansbile & CloudInit
> CloudInit would have just enough info so that you could manage the VM with
> Ansible.
>
> Would that work?
>
> I am just starting to explore what CloudInit can do and what it is.  I am
> brand new to it.  I didn't find enough info on template sealing to help me
> devise a full cycle management strategy.  Perhaps there are other/easier
> methods?  Thanks for your advice and input.

"E' assurdo impiegare gli uomini di intelligenza eccellente per fare
calcoli che potrebbero essere affidati a chiunque se si usassero delle
macchine"
Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibnitz, Filosofo e Matematico (1646-1716)

"Internet è la più grande biblioteca del mondo.
Ma il problema è che i libri sono tutti sparsi sul pavimento"
John Allen Paulos, Matematico (1945-vivente)

Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto, http://www.remixtj.net , <lorenzetto.l...@gmail.com>