On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On April 5, 2020 3:36:42 PM GMT+03:00, "Maton, Brett"
> <mat...@ltresources.co.uk> wrote:
> >I've got a cluster made up of five physical hosts, (Dells with idrac 7
> >management)
> >Power management / fencing enabled on all hosts.
> >
> >I've enabled the power_saving scheduling policy on my cluster, it's
> >migrated all the VM's to a couple of physical hosts so three are
> >sitting
> >idle with no VM's.
> >
> >Shouldn't the power_saving policy shut down the idle hosts?
>
> I don't think so...

On the contrary, it will shut down unneeded hosts indeed. But you have
to configure the fields Liran mentioned:

Edit the cluster, select scheduling policy tab and add two parameters
to your Power saving policy. One (EnableAutomaticHostPowerManagement)
enables the power cycling mechanism and the second one
(HostsInReserve) controls how many empty hosts are allowed to stay up.
When the not enough hosts are empty anymore a new one will be started.

Best regards

--
Martin Sivak