Correct, I didn't see any errors.
I seem to recall this happening to me a couple months ago or so when I was
first setting up the environment as well.

I'll spend some time (it may not be until this weekend) trying to reproduce the
error, and collecting some logs.

No, I do not use an external certificate.
(And I did / do use the "Test Connection" button)

Which logs would be helpful?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.