On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 2:51 PM <regl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently installed a Windows 10 VM under oVirt 4.4.5.11-1.el8
>
> Also installed the drivers using "virtio-win-1.9.16.iso" (Then
> re-installed them after updates just in case it helped)
>
> I found a similar complaint with VMWare (
> https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/vmware-workstation-100-disk-usage/td-p/2704870
> )
>
> So I looked into that and made a registry change for the AHCI controller,
> as well as setting the 'viodiskcache' to write-back (Seen in another thread
> on here) - those two changes seemed to help.. marginally. But not much at
> all.
>
> When I do just about anything, disk usage spikes to 100% and stays there
> for quite a while. Write speeds rarely break 100kb/sec.
>
> Not even sure what to look for next. My Linux VMs don't seem to have this
> issue and the host it's running on is barely working at all. CPU and memory
> stay close to unused. oVirt didn't show a lot, but in task manager in the
> Windows VM - you can see disk queue just pegged completely.
>
> I've given the VM 6GB of RAM, so that's not it. I even turned off paging
> in the Windows VM as well, to no avail.
>
> This is an example of disk usage, just opening 'Groove Music' for the
> first time.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/FRLq28Mw/Disk-Activity.png
>

> Any ideas? :)

Hello,

I've got a number of Windows 7/8/10 and 16 VMs running on a number of
different oVirt clusters, ranging from single host setups (NFS localhost
storage) up to multiple-host setups (Gluster storage) and I'm not seeing
any performance issues.
Can you share additional information concerning the host, storage and VM
configuration?

- Gilboa