On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 1:31 PM Shantur Rathore <shantur.rath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Arik,
>
> I am interested in the Thin approach.
> Is it not possible to create it on another storage domain ? Even with API ?
>
> I read here
> http://ovirt.github.io/ovirt-engine-api-model/4.4/#services/vms
>
> *When creating a virtual machine from a template or from a snapshot it is
> usually useful to explicitly indicate in what storage domain to create the
> disks for the virtual machine. If the virtual machine is created from a
> template then this is achieved passing a set of disk_attachment elements
> that indicate the mapping:*

It's not possible to create a thin-provisioned VM disk on a storage domain
that doesn't hold the corresponding template's disk, even from the api
But if you copy the template's disk(s) to the target storage domain
beforehand then you can create the thin-provisioned VM disks there using
the api as described above

> Thanks,
> Shantur
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 11:19 AM Arik Hadas <aha...@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Shantur Rathore <
>> shantur.rath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have multiple storage domains in my DC. One is backed up that has
>>> templates and another one which isn't backed up and I want to use it for VM
>>> instances of the template.
>>>
>>> I cannot find an option to create the VM from a template and use a
>>> storage domain other than where the template is stored.
>>>
>>> Is it even possible?
>>>

>> Assuming you're asking about the administration portal, it depends on the
>> selected allocation policy (which you can find in the Resource Allocation
>> tab of the add-VM dialog):
>> - If it is set to 'Clone' then you can select any other storage domain
>> that is available in the DC to clone the template's disk to
>> - If it is set to 'Thin' then a VM disk must reside on a storage domain
>> that contains the template's disk it is based on. You can copy the
>> template's disk(s) to another storage domain if you want a VM disk to be
>> created there
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Shantur