On 2021-11-17 13:50, Sina Owolabi wrote:

Ok thanks Sounds odd but no problem How do I make the new VM use its own disk, named after itself? On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 at 19:45, Alex McWhirter <a...@triadic.us> wrote:
On 2021-11-17 12:02, notify.s...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi All

Im very stumped on how to create VMs from templates I've made, but
having them installed with their own disks.
Please can some one guide me on how to do this?
I have Ovirt running, with local storage hypervisors.

Anytime I try to use a template, the vm is created and booted with the
template's disk.
I would especially appreciate how to do this with ansible.
Im trying to automate CentOS and Ubuntu VMs.

When you make a VM from a template there are two possibilities.

If the VM type is set to desktop, a qcow overlay is created against the template's disk images. Any changes made in the VM are stored in the overlay..

If the VM type is set to server the template's disks are copied to a new disk, it will have the same name as the template disk, but it is in fact a new disk with the template data copied over.
--
Sent from MetroMail

You can create a template with no disk, then VM's created from that
template will also have no disk. Then add a new disk to the VM after you
create it. This is how the default blank template works. You can also
create a template with an empty disk, then every VM created will also
get an empty disk by default. You can always rename disks as well.