> I wonder if Oracle would not be interested in keeping the ovirt.  It will
> really be too bad that ovirt is discontinued.
>
> https://docs.oracle.com/en/virtualization/oracle-linux-virtualization-man...
>

> Em sáb., 5 de fev. de 2022 09:43, Thomas Hoberg <thomas(a)hoberg.net&gt;
> escreveu:

I've been looking there, once I discovered they had axed their own original
product (which used to be the only hypervisor officially sanctioned to get CPU
partitioning good enough for core based licensing of their SQL servers) and
gone with oVirt for their commercial offers.

But the most outstanding evidence is that they never made the transition to
4.4, almost two years after 4.3 support stopped at oVirt. The only news since
ages is a couple of videos in November: they are up the creek without a paddle,
too, and that's the only aspect of this EOL that I find slightly amusing.

oVirt is currently made up of so many components over which Redhat has
exclusive control, that anyone who isn't Redhat's special friend would be crazy
to take it on, because they couldn't keep things coordinated enough to create a
product.

Actually, my personal impression is that it's what killed oVirt, especially in
the HCI variant even inside Redhat.

I've just set up three XCP-ng nodes using nested virtualization on one of my
home-lab workstations and I've been dumb-struck just how fast and painless it
went. I then added a Xen-Orchestra appliance(the equivalent of the management
engine), which again dumbfounded me by just how easy and quick it went (a
single command grabs the appliance off the Internet and installs it on the
node).

Of course, then came the inevitable: the nagware! Every other button on the UI
is nothing but a hint to upgrade to one of the many paid variants. At least one
of those hidden away buttons actually allows you to upgrade the (freshly
downloaded..?) nodes, so perhaps the free variant is minimally usable.

The XOSAN HCI variant at €6000/year is definitely out of my home-lab range, but
might compare favorably to RHV and certainly vSphere or Nutanix. I don't think
they are quite in the same league, though, but I'll keep checking as much as I
can.

It's rather ironical that XCP-ng does support Gluster for HCI...

One of the things I loved about oVirt was that you could follow what's going
on. In parts of our business we have SLAs where outside help will always come
too late. What I didn't like was that you had to dig deep far too often and
that it was full of bugs in the setup phase, which had me doubt in its
operational performance.

In retrospect I have to conceed, that it didn't do so badly there even if I had
plenty of scares, which is why I still have 4.3 running in the corporate labs:
until EOL of CentOS7 do us part.