> Oh i have spent years looking.
>
> ProxMox is probably the closest option, but has no multi-clustering
> support. The clusters are more or less isolated from each other, and
> would need another layer if you needed the ability to migrate between
> them.
Also been looking at ProxMox for ages. We were using OpenVZ in compliance-heavy
production so a nice GUI and a VM option seemed ideal. But
SWsoft/Parallels/Virtuzzo and ProxMox were competing not collaborating and
diverging with distinct hypervisors and IaaS containers, which seems a silly
tribal squarrel in face of today's cloud invasion. Never thought LXC might do
better than OpenVZ (or I might return to Xen from KVM). Redhat fought both IaaS
containers with nothing but VMs and only got saved by (PaaS) Docker, which they
then tried to smother with podman and Kubernetes.

But Proxmox is not HCI or only via DIY.

> XCP-ng, cool. No spice support. No UI for managing clustered storage
> that is open source.
true and the most attractive option seems a paid upgrade (and not ready yet)
Don't think I'd miss SPICE or that it has much of a future.
But nothing HCI has ever deployed so quickly and easily, including vSphere as
the supposed market leader.

> Harvester, probably the closest / newest contender. Needs a lot more
> attention / work.
It looks great, thanks for the tip. No idea if they survive the next three
months.
I am adding the link here, because that name needs to be searched right ;-)
https://harvesterhci.io/

> OpenNebula, more like a DIY AWS than anything else, but was functional
> last i played with it.
Lots of material, but is it actually open source? And do they have a free tier?
They seem to have everything... which makes me more suspicious than happy these
days.

> Has anyone actually played with OpenShift virtualization (replaces RHV)?
> Wonder if OKD supports it with a similar model?
The oVirt team had hinted at an integrated container VM solution when I started
with oVirt. Obviously the pods and etc-daemons need to run somewhere and VMs or
IaaS containers like OpenVZ or LXC would be a good start. That never
materialized and evidently they chose to abandon IaaS and HCI completely.

But there is plenty of workloads still out there, that are more comfortable
with a IaaS abstraction and more concerned with scale-in than scale-out. Or
which live at the real edge, in the field, on tracks or roads or in the middle
of an ocean.

I don't quite see how OpenShift replaces RHV, especially not at the [real]
edge. The software industry may be transitioning towards cloudy application
models, but it's note quite all there yet.

My impression is that Redhat is very carefully avoiding a CentOS repeat for
every other open source project they do. Their upstream variants seem far more
beta in OKD and Kubvirt than oVirt ever was.

"No Free Lunch" seems to have been chiseled into the three letters of their new
owners for almost a century now.