OK.

Managed to get the engine up and running. But now it fails to communicate
with the nodes :/
... But at least I have an engine running...

*** DISCLAIMER ***
The following may eat your data, burn your house and possibly start WW3.
Use it only if: A. This is the last ditch attempt to save your cluster. B.
You feel brave.
As this problem literally plagues every single ovirt user, I'm posting this
in an effort to create a what-to-do-when-your-certs-expire handbook.

Managed to get the engine and nodes up using a combination of data from 4
different sources.
A. Create a new local CA following the instructions here:
https://myhomelab.gr/linux/2019/12/13/local-ca-setup.html
NOTE: You need to add "keyUsage = keyEncipherment, dataEncipherment,
digitalSignature" to opensslsan.cnf.
B. Use the newly created CA to generate (and deploy) apache.p12 cert(s),
following the instructions here:
https://myhomelab.gr/linux/2020/01/20/replacing_ovirt_ssl.html
... and here:
https://rhv.bradmin.org/ovirt-engine/docs/Administration_Guide/appe-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization_and_SSL.html
C. Rebuild the host certs using the instructions below:
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/message/56QU2AD7YUX2VZUP4NZMRFXK32MJM7QE/

Once you restart the engine and hosts services, I hosted-engine --vm-status
between the hosts looks OK (all nodes are at 3400) and I can login into the
engine.
*However*, the engine still refuses to talk to the hosts, citing:

2022-12-26 08:53:14,727+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.GetCapabilitiesAsyncVDSCommand]
(EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-16) []
Command 'GetCapabilitiesAsyncVDSCommand(HostName =
gilboa-home-hv1-dev.localdomain,
VdsIdAndVdsVDSCommandParametersBase:{hostId='43ddfcd5-4bd1-4731-bf30-4fedce22f3ab',
vds='Host[gilboa-home-hv1-dev.localdomain,43ddfcd5-4bd1-4731-bf30-4fedce22f3ab]'})'
execution failed: org.ovirt.vdsm.jsonrpc.client.ClientConnectionException:
SSL session is invalid
2022-12-26 08:53:17,744+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.vdsm.jsonrpc.client.reactors.Reactor] (SSL Stomp Reactor) []
Unable to process messages PKIX path building failed:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
valid certification path to requested target
2022-12-26 08:53:17,748+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.monitoring.HostMonitoring]
(EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-6) []
Unable to RefreshCapabilities: VDSNetworkException: VDSGenericException:
VDSNetworkException: PKIX path building failed:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find
valid certification path to requested target
2022-12-26 08:53:18,187+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.monitoring.HostMonitoring]
(EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-96) []
Unable to RefreshCapabilities: ClientConnectionException: SSL session is
invalid
2022-12-26 08:53:18,188+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.GetCapabilitiesAsyncVDSCommand]
(EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-96) []
Command 'GetCapabilitiesAsyncVDSCommand(HostName =
gilboa-home-hv1-dev.localdomain,
VdsIdAndVdsVDSCommandParametersBase:{hostId='43ddfcd5-4bd1-4731-bf30-4fedce22f3ab',
vds='Host[gilboa-home-hv1-dev.localdomain,43ddfcd5-4bd1-4731-bf30-4fedce22f3ab]'})'
execution failed: org.ovirt.vdsm.jsonrpc.client.ClientConnectionException:
SSL session is invalid
2022-12-26 08:53:18,348+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.dal.dbbroker.auditloghandling.AuditLogDirector]
(EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-62) []
EVENT_ID: VDS_BROKER_COMMAND_FAILURE(10,802), VDSM
gilboa-home-hv2-srv.localdomain command Get Host Capabilities failed:
Message timeout which can be caused by communication issues
2022-12-26 08:53:18,348+02 ERROR
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.monitoring.HostMonitoring]
(EE-ManagedScheduledExecutorService-engineScheduledThreadPool-Thread-62) []
Unable to RefreshCapabilities: VDSNetworkException: VDSGenericException:
VDSNetworkException: Message timeout which can be caused by communication
issues

- Gilboa