On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 6:18 PM Gilboa Davara <gilb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 8:40 AM Yedidyah Bar David <d...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Add issue https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine/issues/784
>>
>> Sorry, I do not follow. Is your immediate obstacle being that
>> engine-setup refuses to continue, saying "Hosted Engine HA is in
>> Global Maintenance mode."?
>>
>> You can cause it to ignore this test by passing
>> 'OVESETUP_CONFIG/continueSetupOnHEVM=bool:True' (in the answer file or
>> --otopi-environment).
>>
>> We recently added an option 'engine-setup
>> --show-environment-documentation', exactly for this env key, see also:
>>
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.ccontinueSetupOnHEVM=bool:Truegi?id=1700460
>>
>> Best regards,
>> --
>> Didi
>>

> I actually managed to bypass the check by editing he.py and deleting the
> "raise" statement, preventing hosted-engine from bombing out because it
> wasn't able to connect to the nodes.
> From there I managed to renew the certificates (see second mail), and even
> connected two of the 3 nodes successfully (I had to create new temporary vdsm
> certificates, get them semi-connected to the engine, and then "re-enroll
> certificates" from the UI. Once I had a limping cluster up, I shut everything
> down cleanly, and... and redeployed the cluster from scratch. (with all the
> failed attempts, my HE was completely busted).
> That said, I wonder if having to short circuit the environment variable isn't
> a bit over-complicated, given the considerable number of cert related issues.

I do not think it's "over complicated" in any technical sense - just
one command line to copy/paste from somewhere. I'd say it's mainly
that knowing that this is the solution to your exact problem is the
hard thing.

> But thanks for the heads-up.
>
> Q: I'm willing to try and document all the steps I did, in my semi-success
> attempt to save my cluster.

I think that would be great.

> That said, I rather not document wrong / broken steps. Can anyone @RH review
> my writeup?

Sure! But consider how you intend to publish it. If as something like
a blog post (on ovirt.org or your own blog or whatever), that's less
"authoritative" and understandably more local/specific. If you
consider integrating it into the official guides, that's more
delicate.
--
Didi