Il giorno mar 19 set 2023 alle ore 17:03 Andrea Chierici <
andrea.chier...@cnaf.infn.it> ha scritto:

> Dear Sandro,
> this gives me a clear idea of the status of the project unfortunately.
> But please let me explain my use case and maybe you can suggest me the
> correct solution.
> In my organization we have several ovirt installations, some with hosted
> engine, some with a separate VM running on "something else".
> Personally I have 2 instances that I care most and they are still running
> 4.5.4.
> You suggested several months ago that we should switch to nightlies, but
> since I need to be sure they work correctly, I want to test them on a
> separate tesbed. Hence I wanted to install a brand new mini cluster to test
> the nightlies before running them in production (I think this is the
> correct approach in general).
> Anyway since nightlies change quite often and are not versioned, it's not
> simple, I think, to test them on a testbed and then bring them in
> production, since some packages may have already been updated.
> So, what do yuo suggest me to do, to be sure I run in production only
> tested software?
> THanks a lot for your support.
>
> Andrea

Hi Andrea, oVirt project packages are tested only by the community these
days, the same way you are testing them in your test bed.
The suggestion to use nightly is still valid, it's the version which has
the highest probability to really run on recent el8 and el9 streams /
releases.
If you need to snapshot a specific nightly I would suggest to take a local
snapshot using foreman or just mirroring the repository and use it both for
testing and for pushing to production after the test succeeds.

--

Sandro Bonazzola

MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING

Red Hat In-Vehicle Operating System

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://www.redhat.com/>

*Red Hat respects your work life balance. Therefore there is no need to
answer this email out of your office hours.*