Am 18.09.2018 um 18:54 schrieb Dagnon, William:
* Per Tilman, here is 'N' highlighted:  imgur.com/a/M3XORNs

It looks ok to me (it should display "Part B"), or I am missing something.

The top sets a white rectangle.

Could you look at resources, fonts, f2. Click on the font and look whether you see glyphs, also expand "encoding".

This is different in a few ways from a selected, visible version:
A) this has "/DeviceGray cs" at the top, a viewable one doesn't
B) a viewable one, where I manually selected it, has "(Part ) Tj" and later a "(B) Tj"
row, whereas this one only has one "(Part B) Tj" row...

That's not a problem. PDF has many different ways to show the same thing.

Tilman