I think you should be able to escape characters in the username / password
with % encoding... so something like

amqp://PQ-RST-UV-W:VPN%3amwrst@clientid/localhost?brokerlist=.......

should work (where %3a is the encoding of the : character).

The only problem I see (which shouldn't cause you an issue) is if the
username itself contained a colon character.

-- Rob