Keith, I increased the timeout to 3 seconds and then 10 seconds and still
received the error and message consumption would not continue - the log file
from the test I did with 10 seconds is:   qpid-dispatch-timeout.log
<http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/file/t396334/qpid-dispatch-timeout.log>

I then increased the timeout to 60 seconds and didn't receive the same
dispatcher exception but after the client reconnected after a second
failover it was no longer consuming messages (the same result unfortunately
- the last exception logged in the attached file was
org.apache.qpid.transport.ConnectionException: Connection closed by external
action).  The debug logging for that test is here:  qpid-connect-timeout.log
<http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/file/t396334/qpid-connect-timeout.log>

For all tests here is what I did to force fail over in the HA cluster:
1. initial master was node 1.  After consuming some messages, I stopped the
virtual host on node 1 (via the web mgt console).  I restarted node 1
virtual host within 10 seconds of stopping it.
2. node 3 became the new master and the jms client continued consuming
messages once it successfully failed over to connect to this new master.
3. I then stopped the virtual host node 3 (via the web mgt console).   I
restarted node 3 virtual host within 10 seconds of stopping it.
4. node 1 became the new master again.  I can see where the jms client
successfully reconnected to it but messages were no longer being consumed.

Also I am using JRE 1.7.  - that's why I'm not using the newer Qpid JMS
0.28.0 client.  We have some products that are unfortunately still at 1.7 so
that's what I have to use for the time being for these tests.

Thanks for your help.