I have been doing more testing of different scenarios regarding transacted
sessions and different acknowledgement nodes and here is what I've found
regarding this topic/behavior:

My initial tests (and what I provided logs for) didn't use transactions and
used auto acknowledge:
Session session = connection.createSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);

I also tested with client acknowledgement:
Session session = connection.createSession(false,
Session.CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE);
and had the same behavior occur - message consumption stopped after the
second failover.

I then tested with using transactions (which is our normal use case but not
100% of the time):
Session session = connection.createSession(transacted,
Session.SESSION_TRANSACTED);
and this test was successful.  I failed over multiple times (at least 3) and
each time message consumption continued.  Messages that could not be
committed because a failover was in progress were redelivered correctly once
the client connected to the new master node.