Hi Brian,

The steps for restoring of BDB virtual host node store are correct.
Though, please be aware that in case of moving node into a different
machine you need to reset the bdb ha group as per [1].

As for BDBBackup utility provided by Qpid,  it works simply by
acquiring locks on je files and copying the files into specified
backup folder.
If load is high and store is changing too frequently, the utility
might fail to acquire locks on all files within the predefined timeout
of 60 seconds.

We have been considering replacing that utility with BDB VHN/VH
management operations  which would call JE
com.sleepycat.je.util.DbBackup underneath.

Thus, you can use com.sleepycat.je.util.DbBackup for backup,  rather
than org.apache.qpid.server.store.berkeleydb.BDBBackup.

Kind Regards,
Alex

[1]
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-broker-j-7.0.1/book/Java-Broker-High-Availability-Reset-Group-Infomational.html