Whilst the recommendation is clearly not what is being used, how much
of an issue is this? It doesnt seem to be a hard requirement for
example.

I wonder if the disruption caused from changing it after ~6 years and
dealing with any resulting confusion actually outweighs the benefits
of it being as recommended.