On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 21:45 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> I do think perhaps the error handling/communication on the client
> side
> could be better in proton.
>
> With qpid::messaging you get an error that while not exactly clear
> at
> least indicates that the issue is with GSSAPI; the proton examples
> just
> exit with no message at all.

As far as I know the error messages are as good with proton-c as qpid.
The client code does have to check for error conditions though, which
it may not - our c/c++ examples do this correctly at least.

> > To my mind, the question is whether making GSSAPI mechanisms opt in
> > at
> > the client end is more surprising than having them trip you up when
> > you
> > aren't even aware they could be a problem.
> >
> > Gordon, do you think that is the case?
>
> I think having some mechanisms filtered out from what the broker is
> offering is surprising. This is only likely to affect users who want
> GSSAPI of course, which is a minority. It is a potentially breaking
> change though.

I hate to press you, but you avoided expressing a definite opinion. I'm
planning to commit this change, do you object to it?

Andrew