A related (not identical) issue is
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-244
Andrews fix will fix that problem as well as the failures discussed here.
Installing config files will not, nor will it help with developers trying
out examples in a source build etc.

I agree that this is not an issue for a properly configured production
system, and there are easy workarounds (make sure your laptop has a dotted
name, always specify mechs=ANONYMOUS for examples and tests etc.) but given
the way the problem shows maddeningly in some situations but usually not,
it could easily frustrate developers to the point that they throw proton
away before they find the workarounds. It took me 2 weeks to figure out
that dispatch tests would run 10x faster if I turned off my VPN, and more
weeks to realize I needed to use saslMechs=ANONYMOUS everywhere. I think
another month before Chuck discovered  that calling your machine
"bob.localdomain" instead of "bob" also fixed the problem. For developers
who initially don't care about security and expect things to Just Work with
default config, I think this issue may be losing us developers.

Cheers,
Alan.