Alex,

As to <mx:Application>, please forget it since I copied the wrong version
(Apache Flex NOT Apache Royale).  Sorry.

I run the following command on my Mac from the directory where Welcome.mxml
is put.  The result is the same as Windows 10.  No index.html is generated.
(And no error message)

/Users/taksho/Downloads/apache-royale-0.9.6-bin-js/royale-asjs/js/bin/mxmlc
+configname=flex -debug Welcome.mxml

----------------------- Welcome.mxml -----------------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<mx:Module xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009";
                                xmlns:mx="library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx"
                                xmlns:s="library://ns.apache.org/royale/spark"
                                paddingBottom="0" paddingTop="0"
paddingLeft="0" paddingRight="0"
height="100%" width="100%">

    <mx:Panel title="Welcome to Tour De Flex (Apache Royale version)"
                          paddingBottom="10" paddingTop="10" paddingLeft="10"
paddingRight="10"
height="100%" width="100%">
                <s:HGroup>
                        <s:Image source="mx/controls/assets/ApacheFlexLogo.png"
width="50"
height="50" />
                        <s:VGroup height="100%" verticalAlign="middle">
                                <s:Label text="Apache Tour De Flex"
fontSize="20" fontWeight="bold" />
                        </s:VGroup>
                </s:HGroup>

                <s:RichText width="100%" height="100%">
                        <s:p />
                        <s:p>The Apache Flex Tour De Flex component explorer
provides a sample
set of working Apache Flex examples.</s:p>
                        <s:p />
                        <s:p>New in this version:</s:p>
                        <s:list>
                                <s:li>Added this welcome page</s:li>
                                <s:li>Changed examples look and feel to be more
consistent</s:li>
                                <s:li>Added support for 3rd party
examples</s:li>
                                <s:li>Added Squiggly spelling engine
examples</s:li>
                        </s:list>
                        <s:p />
                        <s:p>For a full list of changes please see the
README.</s:p>
                        <s:p />
                </s:RichText>
    </mx:Panel>