in my point of view it is wrong to store the config data in /content/conf if
the only motivation to do this is the limitation of some tooling.
i would recommend to keep the config root of the default strategies at /conf.

what is the purpose of the "AEM content management tools" - edit the
configuration?
then have a look at the (not yet finished and not yet documented)
http://wcm.io/caconfig/editor/
the is also a sample project
https://github.com/wcm-io/wcm-io-caconfig/tree/develop/sample-app

it allows to create config editor templates in /content/*, but the config data
is loaded from and stored in /conf. the editor shows the config data of the
context where the page is created.

stefan