this gets very AEM product specific, i'm not sure if this is the right list for
it.

still, why do you want to configure your fallback below /content/conf and not
in /conf? they could be stored in /conf as cq:Page nodes as well with some
tweaking of configuration. looking up configuration data in the page itself and
then in the fallbacks is not supported by the default strategies, although it
would be possible to add this aspect by providing an additional configuration
resource resolving strategy.

but anyway - as i understood one main of the learnings of different
configuration approaches of the last years was: keep all configuration out of
/content. so this was the main guideline for the default strategies.

stefan