Thank you for your time everybody! For posterity:

First to clarify, my very specific question is how to iterate an iterable in
the model-building logic (what us old timers might call a "backing bean"). I
do already know that I can use HTL to iterate the children, and I do
recognize that in this contrived example it's a better separation of
view/model concerns to do so. However I'm going to need to do lots of
iterating on resources in my "backing beans" as I build model data for
increasingly complex objects. Imagine a component that searches various
parts of the JCR and filters on specific properties to generate a
heterogenous list of content links... To suggest HTL just skirts around my
development need in model-building logic.

Vlad's syntax solved my problem. I'd love to understand why. It seems the
Iterable contains a Map or List objects with a key and resource... Is that
due to Rhino? The Sling docs say getChildren returns Iterable<Resource>. I
didn't expect this.

I'm already feeling the pain of debugging JS Use API, which Stefan has
warned about, and so did the sling docs on.

I'm concluding that the JS Use API probably isn't ready and requires too
much esoteric/idiomatic knowledge to give the sort of development speed one
would expect with JS. I'm going to keep it as an option for very simple
components.