>1.) Are there cases where I would need to shut down and restart Sling in
>order for an updated version of the bundle to be functional.  What I'm
>seeing today is that I make a few code changes, do a "mvn clean install
>sling:install", observe that the bundle gets installed, but when I make use
>of a servlet that the bundle provides, I get the pre-update behavior.  I
>did a cursory scan of the logs and didn't see anything unusual.  If I kill
>Sling and restart it, then the servlet behaves as expected.  Is this
>expected?  Do I need to do something special for the change to be picked
>up; for example, do I need to fiddle a version number?

this is strange - the new code from the bundle should get active immediately. i
use this way for bundles for years and it always worked well.

>2.) The bundle defines some custom node types in a CND file.  I needed to
>change a node type to add the mix:versionable mixin, but after reinstalling
>(and I believe even restarting Sling), newly created nodes didn't have the
>mixin type.  If I installed the bundle into a brand new repository, then
>those nodes would be created with the mixin type.  Again, is there
>something I need to do to effect a change in a node type definition that
>doesn't involve drastic measures?

unfortunately dynamic update of a node type already registered is not supported
at all in jackrabbit afaik. the only solution i know of in a repository where
the old definition was already registered is to remove this definition manually
before installing the new one.

stefan