> How do I provide the XML configuration to my sifting appender?  Do I just
> define a ConfigProvider that provides an InputSource with the XML, and
> register that like:

So far the usage pattern is that you register fully configured
Appenders as OSGi service. The xml config support is more like
stitching of logback config. So can try the way you are approaching
i.e. register the ConfigProvider and see if it works

> 2.) If I need to filter what is logged to error.log by the default Sling
> Logging configuration (I want to ensure that the messages handled by the
> sifting appender are not also logged to error.log), what is the best way to
> to it?

Register the filter as OSGi service with appenders="*" [1]
Chetan Mehrotra
[1]
https://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/logging.html#filters-as-osgi-services