Sure, we use IntelliJ as a source code editor. And we build our project using
maven and the plugin content-package-maven-plugin. All of our nodes are
represented as XML files in our source. For example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jcr:root
  xmlns:sling="http://sling.apache.org/jcr/sling/1.0";
  xmlns:jcr="http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0";
  jcr:primaryType="sling:Folder"/>

IntelliJ (and plenty of other editors) validate and even autocomplete xml
automatically based on the provided namespace. Because it cannot retrieve the
namespaces http://sling.apache.org/jcr/sling/1.0 or http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0
it won't do that (of course it will still validate xml syntax).

John Kramer
Java Software Engineer
E-Commerce Web Team
e: john.kra...@panerabread.com <mailto:john.kra...@panera.com>