Hello Carlin Hefner

On 2012-10-29 14:48, Carlin Hefner wrote:
> Thanks Marc, the problem is we rely on email heavily, so what I mean is
> that we can't have any incoming mail delayed to our inbox. But it's good
> to know that we wont actually loose anything.
>
> Davor, thank you! DRBD looks perfect!
> I'll use that, and a DNS failover to switch incoming requests to the
> backup location/server.
>
> Question, a little off topic but do you know if DRBD or a heartbeat
> service can automatically change DNS entries for failover?

With heartbeat you normally use a service DNS name and IP address.
This IP will be switched to the current running system.
With this you don't need to change DNS at all.
This has the advantage, that your clients will always see the same
service name and IP.
It also has the advantage that you don't have to reduce your DNS TTL for
this entry, in order to switch fast.

But I don't know, if this is possible for you, as you have two different
locations.
If they use different IP ranges, then it can not work, because you have
to route differently.

Gruppe Informationsdienste
Rechenzentrum Universität Konstanz