I noticed myself after upgrading to Thunderbird 17 that I was being prompted to authenticate seemingly for every calendar I was subscribed to in addition to once for my mail. After a lot of tinkering with versions and settings, I found myself digging through the extracted contents of the Lightning extension.
There, I found the file calAuthUtils.jsm in the modules sub directory.
I've found that if I overwrite the "cal.auth.Prompt.prototype" definition/code block, with the version from lightning-1.0b2.105i (Inverse Edition for the 3.x release), and of course, re-zip the extension back up and re-install it, I get the old behavior of only being prompted to enter my password twice, once for mail and once for all of my calendars.
This appears to work on Linux and OSX with 17.0.2.
I've yet to test with the 10.x series or with Windows but I suspect its the same issue. I believe it has to do with the way the authentication realms are being handled for CalDAV auth, but I'm no expert.
Hope maybe this will help and not break too much stuff.
Seems to work.