I run into the same problem last week when upgrading from CentOS 7 to
CentOS 7.1, which I found a bit "stealthy", since the repo links stay
the same. But a lot of base as well as epel packages are having a major
upgrades. I am using IPA for authentication with SOGO / Dovecot and that
went from 3.2 to 4.1, fortunately without a major glitch (up to now :-).

But the SOGO / SOPE49 interface to mariadb / mysql seems to have at
least intermittent connection problems after the upgrade. It tried to
backout - go to the older version - for gnustep-base/-make/-filesystem
from the jaille-sogo repository without luck.

My final solution was to switch the DB from mysql/mariadb to postgreql.
The combination sogo / sope49 / gnustep from the pre-packaged jaile-sogo
repo, CentOS & postresql (9.2.10) from the most recent update repo works
stable since last week.

I found a hint on google that the mysql"4" calls / interface  are no
longer fully supported with MySQL / mariadb 5. At least the problem on
my server were intermittent so I could access one account via the WEB
interface after each sogo restart and export teh calendar / contacts
into text files. As soon as I tried to switch the user account or access
via the Thunderbird connector things went south... For larger databases
(I have 14 accounts) a mysql export -> postgresql import might be
feasible. (A short test using phpmysqadmin / phppgadmin did not work...)

Fortunately I use the DB only for the SOGO calendar / contact
information. The user authentication as well as mail accounts are
administrated by (Free)IPA bundled with CentOS which provides a LDAP
(via ldapsearch) as well as pam.d (via sssd) interface.

Kind regards

Uli Maurus