On 7/30/2015 9:14 AM, Christian Mack wrote:
Am 30.07.2015 um 15:05 schrieb Chris Coleman:

On 7/30/2015 8:57 AM, Christian Mack wrote:
Hello

Am 30.07.2015 um 14:24 schrieb Márcio Merlone:
On 24-07-2015 08:07, Steve Ankeny wrote:
The only issues I remember with the running of the script were --

(1) users fail to run it
(2) or, they run the wrong script

Instructions are *always* at the back pages of the Installation
Guide --

http://www.sogo.nu/files/docs/SOGo%20Installation%20Guide.pdf (pg 58)
Since I run Ubuntu, I assume the install/upgrade procedure from apt
already does that, is this correct?

No!
You have to do that manually.

I nominate adding the database schema upgrade script to the deb and rpm
install/upgrade scripts. It would need to detect the current db schema
version and apply the appropriate db updates. Which it surely does
already...
That automation alone would probably reduce friction by 5%.

It is not that easy.
It first would have to scan your config, in order to find which DBMS you
use.
Some are even using multiple DBs.

Yes, but when these deb/rpm scripts install SOGo for the first time, don't they rely on classes which create the db with whichever supported DBMS the admin has chosen (mysql postrgres or oracle), install the latest schema, and from then onward, interact with the db using classes? Upgrading existing schema should mean query the db class for schema version, and invoke the schema upgrader by supplying path names for the relevant differential schema upgrade files.
This is how many/most application projects handle db schema upgrades.