Dne 31.7.2015 v 18:25 Ben napsal(a):

I nominate adding the database schema upgrade script to the deb and rpm
install/upgrade scripts. It would need to detect the current db schema
version and apply the appropriate db updates. Which it surely does
already...
That automation alone would probably reduce friction by 5%.

It is not that easy.
It first would have to scan your config, in order to find which DBMS you
use.
Some are even using multiple DBs.

I think it would be relatively straight-forward and avoid lots of upgrade confusion for SOGo to store in the db the db schema version. Then when SOGo starts up and connects to the db, it checks that the db schema version matches the version it is expecting. If it isn't, it throws an error and stops. This forces the admin to read the instructions and do the db backup, run the upgrade script, etc. But it prevents someone from doing a quick upgrade and running a new version SOGo against an old db schema and having weird problems, etc.

Ben
I also agree. It would be nice if all database changes were applied when upgrading binary packages like rpm. Just imagine a scenario when a new major update is released and installed automatically except its database part and the responsible admin is out somewhere and SOGo stops operating after a service reload. All packages are installed under root user and it means that upgrade scripts can see SOGo configuration and react appropriately.

Best regards,
Michal Kminek