Hi Peter.
I'm fairly new to SOGo, so I can't guarantee that what I write is 100%
correct.
However looking at the sources on github
https://github.com/inverse-inc/sogo/tree/master/UI/WebServerResources/css
I see that these css files are not compiled in any way.
You can even review today's commit which was done directly in *.css files.
Having said that I assume that theme modification requires modification of
those css files.
As you stated - there is also Common.js and palettes defined in that file.
Which require separate modification. I assume that this file is used for
inline css injection by angular engine.
When it comes to the tool which I use - nothing more than Firefox built in
"Inspect element" function, which is very helpful in all that css-related
work.