On 1 Jan 2018, at 9:59 (-0500), David Jones wrote:

I think some mail systems will keep the same message-ID per email thread so your system must reject some replies.

On 01.01.18 10:29, Bill Cole wrote:
I have not seen such behavior in the past 20 years...

Intentionally re-using another site's MIDs is so wrong that I'd happily make it break hard.

HOWEVER, the idea of enforcing any standard on MIDs beyond gross format (e.g.: <[[:ascii:]]{3,996}>) on a system where the admin isn't the sole user is ludicrous.

the gross format in RFCs 822,2822 and 5322 describes message-id consisting
of local and domain part, thus is must contain "@".

Due to unexpected conditions Windows 2000 will be released
in first quarter of year 1901