On 02/06/2018 10:38 AM, Alex wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:44 AM, David Jones <djo...@ena.com> wrote:
On 02/05/2018 09:07 PM, Alex wrote:

Hi,

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DNSEval

header          __RCVD_IN_BRBL  eval:check_rbl('brbl',
'bb.barracudacentral.org')
tflags          __RCVD_IN_BRBL  net

header          __RCVD_IN_BRBL_2        eval:check_rbl_sub('brbl',
'127.0.0.2')
meta            RCVD_IN_BRBL    __RCVD_IN_BRBL_2 && !RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT
describe        RCVD_IN_BRBL    Received is listed in Barracuda RBL
bb.barracudacentral.org
score           RCVD_IN_BRBL    1.2
tflags          RCVD_IN_BRBL    net

header          RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT eval:check_rbl('brbl-lastexternal',
'bb.barracudacentral.org')
describe        RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT    Last external is listed in
Barracuda
RBL bb.barracudacentral.org
score           RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT    2.2
tflags          RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT    net

endif

You don't think these scores are a bit high for a normal installation?
The current default score for RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT is 1.4 and
RCVD_IN_BRBL doesn't otherwise exist.

Also, does someone have a recommended score for the lashback RBL? I've
had it in testing for quite some time and would like to put it into
production with reasonable values...

Ok, ok.  Uncle. (Waving white flag.)  I have been sufficiently flogged so I
have learned my lesson.  :)  This works in my highly customized SA platform
where I have to do outbound mail filtering so deep Received header checking
is valuable to block spam from my customer's compromised accounts.

Leave out the RCVD_IN_BRBL rule above and change the RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT
score to 1.4 to keep things the same.

I didn't mean to imply I don't agree or otherwise support your
approach. It was just unclear that this was in conjunction with that
approach of using higher spam rule scores to offset lower ham rule
scores or if it was recommended for everyone.

If you think the RCVD_IN_BRBL rule is a good one, I'd like to use it,
and while I've implemented much of your approach, I can't implement
all of it. My users raise holy hell when they receive even one phish
from an otherwise trustworthy source that's been whitelisted. It hits
on a ton of email at both ends of the spectrum - most are either very
low scoring or are already spam.

First let me say that my method for many whitelist_auth entries does not allow for any phishing emails so if I find any of those, they do not get a whitelist_auth entry. With a properly tuned MTA in front of SA, the only phishing or blatant spam should be coming from compromised accounts or zero-hour spam which are going to be difficult to block anyway.

My method should only be whitelist_auth'ing system-generated/bulk emails from reputable senders that handle abuse reports quickly and shouldn't match compromised accounts and "freemail" domains. It will also match commonly spoofed domains like fedex.com, ups.com, and banks to help block those phishing emails.

Can I also ask again about reasonable RCVD_IN_LASHBACK and
RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT scores?

It really depends on how much customization you have done to SA and how much your mail flow can handle bumping up scores. If you do some log analysis and find that RCVD_IN_LASHBACK and RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT are pretty accurate for your mail flow, then you can bump it up like I have to 2.2 and 4.2 respectively.

DISCLAIMER: I am not recommending this for everyone so no flaming. Set these scores low and test for a few weeks or months to see how your mail logs line up with real spam then increase the scores as you see fit. Again, I do outbound mail filtering for my customers so the deep Received header inspection is helpful to determine compromised accounts and keep my mail servers off of RBLs.

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DNSEval

header          __RCVD_IN_LASHBACK      eval:check_rbl('lashback',
'ubl.unsubscore.com.')
describe __RCVD_IN_LASHBACK Received is listed in Lashback ubl.unsubscore.com
tflags          __RCVD_IN_LASHBACK      net

header          __RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_2    eval:check_rbl_sub('lashback',
'127.0.0.2')
meta            RCVD_IN_LASHBACK        __RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_2 &&
!RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT
describe        RCVD_IN_LASHBACK        Received is listed in Lashback
ubl.unsubscore.com
score           RCVD_IN_LASHBACK        2.2
tflags          RCVD_IN_LASHBACK        net

header RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT eval:check_rbl('lashback-lastexternal', 'ubl.unsubscore.com.') describe RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT Last external is listed in Lashback ubl.unsubscore.com
score           RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT        4.2
tflags          RCVD_IN_LASHBACK_LASTEXT        net

endif

--
David Jones