On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 10:58:17 -0500
Rob McEwen <r...@invaluement.com> wrote:

> On 2/21/2018 10:37 AM, Dianne Skoll wrote:
> > The concern voiced in another email about overloading Google's
> > infrastructure is quite charming and quaint.

> My concern was NEVER about overloading google.

I guess I misinterpreted: "...such automated lookups could also put a
huge extra burden on Google's servers..." from Message-Id
<b229b274-ff75-0109-9510-346b078d9...@invaluement.com>

> My concern was about Google auto-blocking or throwing a captcha at
> very high volume and automated lookups. That is a HUGE difference.

That's a concern, but you can mitigate it slightly by caching the
results of URL expansion.  Also, I suspect most URL-shorteners
expect to be bombarded with requests and are engineered accordingly.
I have seen a CAPTCHA thrown up from the search page, but I've never
seen a goo.gl HEAD request reply with anything other than 404 or 301.

Regards,

Dianne.