On 2/21/2018 11:11 AM, Dianne Skoll wrote:
I guess I misinterpreted: "...such automated lookups could also put a
huge extra burden on Google's servers..." from Message-Id
<b229b274-ff75-0109-9510-346b078d9...@invaluement.com>

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that part. it was a more minor point. But as I think back on my thought processes at the time I typed those words - I was envisioning what would happen if ALL ISPs and hosters and spam filtering vendors, SA installations etc...  ALL started doing all of those lookups. But yeah, maybe that would still be a drop in the bucket compared to all that Google does.

Nevertheless, it is a shame to have to shift more of the burden onto spam filters to do more work (some of which requires MORE latency) - in order to partly mitigate Google's failure to prevent/correct the abuse. In contrast, at this time, bit.ly is running circles around Google in terms of quickly shutting down their abused redirectors. I know this isn't easy, but there is definitely room for improvement.

But my larger point in that overall post you quoted from, was my concern about one organization doing high volume lookups from a single server getting blocked or captcha'd.

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com