Kenneth Porter wrote:
On 11/7/2018 1:24 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:

I use a combination of adding local signatures (mainly hashes for "random-executable-inna-archive") and selected signatures from a number of third parties to the stock set in a "primary" Clam instance that's an absolute yes/no check, and using only things like the Heuristics.Spoofdomain test and a selection of riskier local and third-party signatures in a second instance called from SA and scored according to the signature (or signature group).

I call ClamAV from MIMEDefang before invoking SA.

*nod* That's the other good way to apply more fine-grained behaviours to different Clam hits; for a while I was using this on our outbound cluster to mitigate the nuisance from Heuristics.SpoofDomain hits on legitimate mail.

I use the "unofficial sigs" package (available as an RPM via yum for Red Hat systems) for much better detection.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/unofficial-sigs/

It's been in Debian for a while too. That upstream link is an old version; it was forked or taken over (not sure which) by extremeshok.com at https://github.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs.

I'm also using an stripped-down extract of the older version to distribute signatures locally; there are a few subsets of various third-party signature groups and files that I consider too high-risk for absolute blocking, so the main download script just pulls files to a local workspace instead of straight into the Clam DB directory, then a local script filters/sorts them and the live servers pull from that space.

-kgd