On 5/10/19 1:16 PM, Kurt Fitzner wrote:
> On 2019-05-10 12:42, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
>> I wanted to comment OP's mail, but since I don't have DKIM set up, I
>> wasn't
>> sure it would pass  :-)
>
> I actually didn't have DKIM signing set up myself until a couple weeks
> ago.  I had been lazy in setting it for a while, but I had to because
> the first time I would email anyone on gmail it was going directly to
> their spam folder.  Hotmail too, to a lesser extent.  But Google is
> really aggressive with unsigned mail, and they have a strong "it's our
> way or the highway" policy.
>
> On 10.05.19 14:48, David Jones wrote:
>
>>> I caution against this since non-DKIM signed email has no relation to
>>> spam or ham.  How did you come up with the "about 90%" number?  Did you
>>> grep logs to get real numbers over a couple of months?
>
> I should clarify.  I do get DKIM-signed spam.  I just don't get any
> non-DKIM-signed ham.  Going back and looking at my archived mail and
> logs I can see that a) all legitimate emails were DKIM-signed, and b)
> virtually every message that was not DKIM-signed was spam.  So I intend
> to assign no ham scoring weight to a message having a DKIM signature,
> but I do feel pretty safe in assigning a heavy penalty to those mails
> without it.

Is this for a single mailbox?  If that is the case, then it's fine to
make a decision like that for a single mailbox.  For those of us running
mail filtering plaforms for customers, this would be a very bad rule.

I filter for about 60,000 to 80,000 mailboxes (can't tell for sure with
Exchange accepting everything and bouncing later) and use DKIM_VALID_AU
heavily with thousands of subdomain entries like:

whitelist_auth *@*.joann.com
whitelist_auth *@*.potterybarn.com
whitelist_auth *@*.aa.com
whitelist_auth *@*.saks.com
whitelist_auth *@*.dominos.com
whitelist_auth *@*.fandango.com

I know for sure that these emails are:

1. System generated and not from user accounts that can be compromised
2. Generated by a mail server under the control or authorized by their
respective domain owners.

I have an automated system that finds these candidates every week and
adds them automatically to my SA config file.  This is a whole category
of email that I don't have to worry about false positives allowing me to
increase the sensitivity of scores and meta rules to help block
compromised accounts and zero-hour spam.

My SA servers see millions of emails each week and they handle a lot of
non-DKIM signed ham.

--
David Jones