Rob McEwen wrote:
Benny,

All I know for sure is this - for MANY legit emails - DKIM fails some days later

Hours.

I've recently learned about this, in the context of trying to welcomelist legitimate senders. A 2-hour validity window for the DKIM signature is pretty common. :(

 - when it had originally worked/validated at the time the
message was sent. I see this often in the real world when I rescan a message to try to verify the impact on a message that a spam filtering change caused - then notice that a very legit email that original passed DKIM at the time the message was received - now suddenly fails DKIM during this days-later rescan - and without ANY changes to the message itself. I think that this is most likely caused by DNS records for that DKIM being changed/updated.

On most of those messages I expect it's an attribute set on the signature, not a rotated DKIM record.

Look for "t=..." and "x=..." in the DKIM-Signature header. t= is the timestamp when it was signed, x= is when it expires.

-kgd