all-  i read the theory of operation on the wiki for
spamd. Still wondering...

Since I am not installing a new SA as a user, the
existing SA is there, but for whatever reason is not
active for my acct, yet is reachable and basically
functioning...

There must be a magic line in the original install
scripts that setup spamd. I want to run that line,
now, for my user acct.

There was a typo in the original post, the OS is
Solaris, but referred to as SunOS, 5.8, as best as I
can gather.
Also, ironically, I just noticed that the Yahoo acct I
am using to send this with ('cause my mail is broken)
has at the bottom 'we have the best spam filter'. hmmm

Thanks in advance for any hints or insights
  -Brian