Ken A wrote:

Jim Maul wrote:
John D. Hardin wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Ramprasad wrote:

  How about sending "450 Please Try later" to ever mail with an
inline image and then somehow verify if it really comes back.
(Obviously not my original idea :-) )

The problem there, again, is that you've already used the bandwidth
and system resources needed to receive and scan the message. Why
explicitly say "please re-send the message later, I'd like to use my
bandwidth and CPU resources to process it again"? Would the benefit
outweigh the cost?

Then add in the infrastructure and long-term resources needed to
determine whether you've seen the message before and make a decision
based on that data.

How many spams would really comeback. max 20%

There is a much lighter-weight and more global way to achieve that:
standard greylisting.

Im curious how many organizations that arent ISPs are using some sort of greylisting. Do your "users" complain when the email they sent to a fellow employee 17 seconds ago didnt arrive yet? We hear all sorts of shit when things like that happen. Try explaining greylisting and spam to some ICU nurse who really doesnt care. All she knows is that we didnt have this "problem" when we paid to outsource our email. For us, and im sure many others as well, greylisting is just not realistic.

Well, you don't have to use it on internal mail. That's just a configuration issue.
Ken
Pacific.Net

True, and we would if we chose to use it at all. My example was a little too generic I suppose. We regularly have employees that use email as an instant messenger type of service with insurance companies, patients, doctors offices, etc. For them, and ultimately us, the delay is simply not an option.

-Jim