A little bit sorry for the top-post ... but .. Re: Kofi Annan's quote from the post dated today at around 6:20 PM PST:

"The problem has risen to a level requiring that the United Nations be aware of the issue and to take steps to address the problem.*"*

I simply do not agree. The U.N. has far more important and pressing issues to deal with than SPAM, which is essentially a corporate productivity problem.

Consider: Oh, geez, the hundreds of truly consequential issues facing a global assembly of governments in today's world.

Compare that with (from my own example) the several hundreds of SPAM message I filter for my staff, each day. Ok ... after a weekend off, it's somewhere areound 1,500 SPAM message ... regardless, with a tiny bit of traning, any human can be trained to quickly scan the company queue and remove any of today's SPAM from the company inboxes.

While I agree that even that is too much for a small business to be satisfied with (it certainly won't make the company go broke), it's simply not that great an issue, when compared to world-affecting issues like Poverty and whatnot.

I say "good luck" with your proposal but NOT "good luck" getting the money you want to get from the U.N. to be put toward "solving" this problem. It's simply not an issue I believe we should be spending any portion of that particular budget for.

Sincerest regards,

James Butler
Chairman, Board of Directors
Internet Society - Los Angeles Chapter