--On Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:47 AM -0700 MennovB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't want to make the zombies use the ISP's SMTP server, I want to stop
them from spamming.
Right now they can only connect directly to the Internet so if the ISP
blocks direct SMTP outgoing the zombies stop working, they can't deliver
their spam.

Ok, that addresses the existing direct-to-MX zombies.

Probably they will then be adapted to figure out and use the ISP's SMTP
server, but that makes them easy to detect for the ISP.

Will ISP's do anything? Are they doing anything now for outbound spam?

Apart from the SMTP-servers from the ISP there may be some other addresses
you legitimately want to access with SMTP, could be serviced by the ISP
with a web-interface where you can configure a certain number of
accessible IP-addressess.

I'd rather it be completely open to anyone who's demonstrated having a clue.

BTW, are there any SMTP providers operating independent of ISP's, sorta like independent newsgroup providers, so that one can use authenticated SMTP over the submission port to that provider instead of one's ISP?