Matthew Goodman wrote:
I am also having this error in my spamd.log file.

Spamd is being run with:

SPAMD_OPTS="-c -d -v -m 40 -s local4 -q -u vpopmail --virtual-config-dir=/var/vpopmail/domains/%d/%l/.spamassassin/ -H
/var/vpopmail"

And spamc is being called by qmail-scanner-2.01 with /usr/bin/spamc -t 30

NONE of my per-user files are being read, and every single e-mail that comes
in I get the user unknown problem.

This didn't happen when I was using SpamAssassin 3.2.3

It should have. by passing -u vpopmail to spamd, you're telling it to *ALWAYS* scan mail as vpopmail, and ignore that which comes from spamc on a per-message basis.